Window 038 - Charlemagne (unrestored)
Bottom to top, left to right:
• Row 01: Furriers as donors.
[Conquest of Jerusalem]
• Row 02: Roman Emperor Constantine sends messenger to Charlemagne; the Emperor has had a dream of Charlemagne conquering Jerusalem.
• Diamond 03: Charlemagne, victorious, is greeted by Constantine.
• Row 04: Charlemagne defeats Saracens; Charlemange refuses all reward save relics he has found.
• Circle 05: Charlemagne gives relics to the Church.
[Spanish Crusades - from Chronicle of Pseudo-Turpin]
• Row 10: Crusaders battle Moors; Miracle of the Flowering Lances: the night prior to battle, those fated to die had flowers appear on their lances, proof of their blessed state as future martyrs.
• Diamond 11: Roland battles King Marsile of the Saracens [some sources say batles giant Ferragus/Ferracutus, but the armor does not match].
• Row 12: Rolland kills giant Ferragus/Ferracutus; Ganelon urges Charlemagne to return home to France.
• Circle 13: Rolland tries to break his sword Durendal, then strives to blow the oliphant (horn) to summon Charlemagne (Rolland is represented twice in the scene).
• Row 14: Baudouin cannot find water for the dying Rolland; Baudouin tells Charlemagne of Rolland's death.
[Mass of St Giles--most of the story is found in Window 022.]
• Diamond 15: Saint Giles celebrates mass, and angel delivers a scroll with Charlemagne's unconfessed sins upon it.
• Row/Corners 16: Angels with censers.