Chartres, north side, left portal
• Adoration of the Magi and then warned not to return to Herod.
• Left: Nativity
• Right: Angel appears to shepherds.
• Left: Isaiah (prophet of Christ's coming, now headless), and then Annunciation (Gabriel treading on devil; Mary treading on serpent).
• Right Daniel (another prophet of Christ's coming, outermost) with the Visitation nearer the door (Mary on a burning bush, symbol of the Immaculate Conception and Elizabeth in the middle).
• First archivolt: ten angels, lowest two on dragons, the rest on clouds
• Second archivolt: four foolish virgins on left, four foolish on the right
• Third archivolt: bottom on each side contain the other two virgins for a total of ten.
• Third, continued: The four cardinal virtues and equivalent sins are on the left:
† Prudence (open book) with Folly underneath (woman eating a pebble);
† Justice (scales) with Injustice (falsify scales);
† Strength (mail coat)
† Temperence (dove) with Intemperence (uncovering the breast)
• Third, continued: On the right are the three theological virtues and equivalent sins:
† Faith (chalice receiving blood of the Lamb) with Infidelity (eyes bandaged);
† Hope (looks to heaven) with Despair (stabs self);
† Charity (clothes beggar) with Avarice (hoarding gold).
• To provide balance, a fourth virtue is added:
† Humility (dove) with Pride (falling headlong)
• Fourth archivolt: Twelve queens bearing scrolls that at one time bore their names; these are the fruits of the spirit as per Galatians 5:22-23.