Chartres, south side, left
ARCHIVOLTS - RIGHT SIDE
Bottom row of the archivolt is the aftermath of Saint Stephen's martyrdom, where Sault (later Saint Paul) holds the cloaks of his murderers. The stoning occurs at the right side of the lintel, in the far left of this image.
• First (inner) archivolt - eight children, the Holy Innocents killed by Herod the Great at Bethlehem.
• Second - Six seated figures catch two streams of blood from a ram's head at the apex of the arch. (Refers to Revelation XXX).
• Third - Eight martyrs hold palms
• Fourth - Ten kings and bishops
• Fifth - Hierarchy of martyrs in twelve statues: levite, deacon, priest, abbot, bishop, with an emperor and pope paired at the top (to show their equality).