Window 062 - Saint Eustace (restored)
Bottom to top, left to right:
• Row 6 (two circles): Negociates for passage on ship and sails to Egypt (2 panels).
† Central Diamond 3: Eustace and children driven from the boat, while boat captain retains his wife [story continues in row 9].
• Row 7: Eustace's two sons meet and recognize each other; Eustace converses with the emperor's messengers and they realize he is Placidas whom they have been sent to find [story continues row 10].
• Row 8: Emperor Trajan sends for Placidas (now Eustace); The messengers lodge with Eustace without recognizing him [story continues in row 11, right].
• Row 9 (two circles): Eustace fords a river; one child is carried off by pink lion, another attacked by wolf who is in his turn attacked by shepherds [story continues in row 8].
• Row 10: Two recruits (his sons) brought to Eustace but he does not recognize them [story continues in row 11, left]; EITHER family celebrates their reunion OR the messengers tell Eustace's friends of his exploits [story continues in Central Diamond 4].
† Central Diamond 4: Eustace, wife, and children re-united [story continues row 12, left].
• Row 11: Eustace's kidnapped wife leaves to find him [story continues in row 10, right]; Eustace's son selected for military service [story continues row 10, left].
• Row 12: Roman emperor thanks his idols for bringing victory to Eustace; Eustace will not worship the idols.
• Row 13: Eustace's execution ordered (also in round panel directly above); servants carry out the emperor's execution order (see also round panel directly above).
†Central Diamond 5: Eustace and family are martyred by being burned in a bull-shaped cauldron.