Chartres, north side, left portal
• Adoration of the Magi and then warned not to return to Herod.
• Left: Nativity
• Right: Angel appears to shepherds.
• First archivolt: ten angels, lowest two on dragons, the rest on clouds
• Second archivolt: four foolish virgins on left, four foolish on the right
• Third archivolt: bottom on each side contain the other two virgins for a total of ten.
• Third, continued: The three theological virtues and equivalent sins.
• At top, to provide balance, a fourth virtue is added:
† Humility (dove) with Pride (falling headlong)
† Charity (clothes beggar) with Avarice (hoarding gold).
† Hope (looks to heaven) with Despair (stabs self).
• Fourth archivolt: Twelve queens bearing scrolls that at one time bore their names; these are the fruits of the spirit as per Galatians 5:22-23.