Chartres west side, central portal, tympanum
• Christ in glory sits in the center, surrounded by symbols of the four gospel authors (evangelists):
• Matthew - winged man
• Mark - winged lion
• Luke - winged ox or bull
• John - eagle
• In the lintel beneath, the twelve apostles are in four groups of three.
• To their immediate left stands Elijah; to their right stands Enoch.
• The first archivolt: twelve angels.
• The second and third archivolts: twenty-four elders of the apocalypse (see Revelation 4:4).