Chartres, south side, left.
Bottom row of the archivolt is Saint Stephen discussing with the Jews of the synagogue. He will be taken out and stoned in the lintel to the right (not shown).
• First (inner) archivolt - eight children, the Holy Innocents killed by Herod the Great at Bethlehem.
• Second - Six seated figures catch two streams of blood from a ram's head at the apex of the arch. (Refers to Revelation XXX).
• Third - Eight martyrs hold palms
• Fourth - Ten kings and bishops
• Fifth - Hierarchy of martyrs in twelve statues: levite, deacon, priest, abbot, bishop, with an emperor and pope paired at the top (to show their equality).